The Most Popular New Year's Resolutions and How To Achieve Them
Here we are – already a couple of weeks into 2019! So, what New Year´s Resolutions have you set for the family?
According to a poll conducted by ComRes, which surveyed 2,014 adults in Great Britain, the most popular New Year´s Resolutions are:
1. Losing weight (33 per cent)
2. Exercising more (38 per cent)
3. Eating healthier (32 per cent)
4. Taking a more active approach to health (15 per cent)
5. Learning a new skill or hobby (15 per cent)
6. Spending more time on personal wellbeing (12 per cent)
7. Spending more time with family and friends (12 per cent)
8. Drinking less alcohol (12 per cent)
Despite Good Intentions
No surprises with the list above are there? However, despite our good intentions, according to a US News article, 80% of New Year´s resolutions are broken by the second week of February.
So, how are your family´s New Year´s Resolutions coming along?
Why People Break Their Resolutions
The main reason people break New Year´s Resolutions is because the goal wasn´t specific and therefore unfocused and unattainable.
Without laying down concrete steps and without being specific, goals are just like wishes. If we´re not specific about our goals or targets, we´re likely to give up when we stumble at the first block.
Make It Specific, Measurable and Attainable
When you have a clear target in mind, you know what to aim for. This is why goals need to be specific. Once you´ve stated your goal in specific terms, you can then focus on hitting the target. Knowing precisely what to aim for also keeps you motivated.
Being able to measure your goals is also crucial. Having measurable goals is an extension of being specific with your goals. If your goals are specific enough that they can be measured, then your goals are also attainable. While your goals need to push you, challenge you, and make you stretch, at the same time, it´s important that you know that your goals are attainable and not merely lofty aspirations.
Here, beside each of the eight most popular New Year´s Resolutions from the list above, we have included an example of how to make your resolution specific:
1. Losing weight – “I want to weigh 65kgs.”
2. Exercising more – “I will exercise 5 times a week for one hour.”
3. Eating healthier – “I will sign up to Weight Watchers.”
4. Taking a more active approach to health – “I will make healthy lunches and bring them to work each day instead of buying.”
5. Learning a new skill or hobby – “I will enrol in a language course and spend 1 hour every evening on developing my skills.”
6. Spending more time on personal wellbeing– “I will meditate five times a week in the morning.”
7. Spending more time with family and friends – “I will call my parents twice a week and meet with one friend for lunch once a week every week.”
8. Drinking less alcohol – “I will drink alcohol only on weekends.”
So, with this in mind, think about what New Year´s Resolutions you and your family can set. Remember to make sure that your goals are specific, measurable, and attainable.
Here are a few examples:
* “I want to spend quality time with my children and will read aloud to my children four nights a week for 30 minutes”.
* “As a family, it´s important we do things together. Therefore, we will visit a museum or go to the movies once a month”.
* "It is also important that my partner and I have our time as a couple. We will do a date night every other Friday and book a babysitter”.
* “I want my family to eat healthier, and therefore I will cook dinner six nights a week”.
Getting A Little Extra Help
For many people, having access to finances can also be a factor in whether they stay motivated and achieve their goals.
Be it money for home renovations or to cover an everyday expense, Ferratum Money provides short-term loans to people who need access to additional funds to help achieve their goals.
Ferratum´s online loans are the quickest and most easily accessible way to money when you need to make things happen. In just minutes, customers can complete an online application and receive a loan decision seconds later. Once approved, money is deposited into the customer´s bank account the next day.
Good luck with your New Year´s Resolutions!